5.10.05

Quitting Smoking


Here are a few hints I used to help me quit.I've been a non-smoker now for 12 years. I have in those 12 years taken a drag off my daughter or son-in-law's cigarette 3 times and was sorry EVERY time since I quit. They were times it just smelled so good to me and I hadn't smoked in so long, I wanted to see what it tasted like again. EEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwww! Gag! Cough DIZZY sick at my stomach and had to brush my teeth and gargle immediately after 1 drag. NOT WORTH IT...I LEARNED MY LESSON LOL! No more, I don't care how good they smell...I'm not stupid: I just walk funny.... LOL
Back to the things I did:
1. I began by writing down all the things I hated about smoking. Cost, yellow teeth, stained fingers, stinky messes in the house, yuck on the walls to have to was off (the place stays so much cleaner now) prone to chest colds, etc. Make yourself a list. Read them over regularly.
2. Cut one cigarette a day out until you’re down to only 3 cigarettes a day. When you hit that spot, stay there for however long it takes for you to get the courage to cut out the most important one a day, after cutting out smoking anywhere but home; outside.
Once you get to that stage, you get enough resolve to crumble your last half pack into the trash. Field-strip every cigarette and resolve never to buy or smoke another.
3. Every time you get the urge to have a cigarette, drink lots of water; practically drown yourself in just plain water. Replace the cigarette habit with drinking water. Also, when you get the normal urge to have a cigarette, make yourself wait. Waite at least 5 urges and if you can make it longer, great! Try this especially on that first one in the morning and that first one after each meal. Whatever ones seem to be the ones you want the most.  These were all the things I did.

I keep trying to get my daughter and son-in-law to give them up but they don't want to.  I'm rooting for you.  Remember, You CAN DO ANYTHING YOU SET YOUR MIND TO!
You can do it!  

Just have faith in your own abilities and leave it up to God to give you the help you need.

These things worked for me; they'll work for you too.
Jan

2 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, Blogger Zette said...

Thank you for the very timely advice. For the first time since I was pregnant with Char, I am seriously considering giving up smoking. As I read what you wrote, I realized that I "meant" to get up and go have my hourly cig, 30 minutes ago, so....WOO HOO for me! It's getting easier since she got sick and since we no longer smoke inside or around her (stupid thing to do in the first place, I know). I've gone from 2 packs a day, to just about 1 pack, depending on how busy I am. (The busier the better.) My house feels better, damn sure smells better, and my baby is breathing so much easier.

Thanks again, and I hope Robin and Tim can join you in being smoke free.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Jan myrz said...

Thanks Zette,
I know you can do it.
And thanks for taking that time to check in while you were at the library. I know those days oh so well. LOL Fun but around here it's make an appointment and then only get a half hour. That time goes so fast....LOL
Again.....thanks. <3 2 u and the family.
Jan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Google

Enjoy.... Have fun.....Play.....Make friends.