17.9.05

Eating Healthy IS NOT Cheep! Part 3

Shopping…..

So here I am 6 days into my resolve to eat healthy and I’ve spent on healthy foods:  13th………… $38.18
15th………… $26.06
17th………… $21.87
                       $86.11
Who the hell in the normal world can afford this?  DAMN SURE NOT ME!

Come on now Health Professionals; were talking get real now!  Just because you make money coming out the ass off every person you see, doesn’t mean that’s how the rest of us live.  We live on pasta’s and soups, on breads and sweets, on chops once in a while and chips.  Who can afford fish anymore; even if we love it?  
Let us see how well you’d eat on what was left after the bills were divvied out their allotment of the paltry monies available to us.  And especially woman’s so called equal pay for an equal job done.  GOD what a joke that one is!  But lets get back to the subject here and now.

South Beach Diet Phase One meal plan calls for two weeks of intensive regimented eating:  Breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, mid-afternoon snack, dinner, and desert.
Sounds great don’t it.  Ok, check it out.
Here’s a shopping list for just 2 days of eating like this.
Day 1…
Vegetable juice cocktail
Vegetable Quiche cups
Decaffeinated coffee ($5.75 bags) or tea ($3.45 bags) with nonfat milk ($1.75 ½ gal) and sugar substitute ($9.80)
Part-skim mozzarella cheese sticks ($4.60 package of 6)
Grilled chicken breasts  ($6.99 / 6) on romaine ($.99 per #)
Balsamic vinaigrette ($4.65)
Low-sugar prepared dressing (I used roses lime juice and olive oil or powdered ranch dressing no mayonnaise or oil, just powered dressing which has nothing in it; no calories, carbs, sugars etc, nothing, zip, zilch, nada, nothing and tastes like a million bucks.)
Sugar-free flavored gelatin dessert (I already had a couple boxes but they run $1.50 for the small boxes and $2.50 for the large.  But I’ve learned to buy the boxes of unflavored gelatin ($8.00+ per box and mix 2 extra packets of unflavored gelatin into the flavored stuff and make Knox blox.  Cut the gelatin into finger portions and eat like a treat.  Knox the sugar urge and satisfies the sweet tooth, lasts a long time too.)
Celery (cheep right now @ .49 a #) stuffed with laughing cow light cheese  ($4.00 I don’t think sooooo!)
Grilled salmon (nearly $10.00 for a filet FORGET IT!) with rosemary steamed asparagus ($1.99 per #)
Tossed salad (mixed greens, ($2.89) cucumbers (3/$1.00), green peppers (2/$1.00), cherry tomatoes ($1.99 box)
Olive oil ($9.80 small bottle or I bought a tin for $20.00 that will fill my bottle 4 times.  I use olive oil all the time anyway and only olive oil.) And vinegar ( I never use, but bought a bottle distilled white vinegar because it was the cheapest $.89)
Low-sugar prepared dressing
Vanilla ricotta crème ( I can’t see wasting good cheese on making a desert mess; I’ll use it for eggplant lasagna instead, the eggplant takes the place of the noodles and I use lean meat no fat or skin if I use chicken…LOL)

Day 2…
Tomato juice ($3.25)
Liquid egg substitute (Another forget it!)
Canadian bacon (I gave up about here on the shopping list from the South Beach Diet, and decided to use what fit into my budget and forget the rest until I become a multimillionaire.)
Decaffeinated coffee or tea with nonfat milk and sugar substitute
Turkey roll-ups (I don’t like cold cuts of any kind)
Cilantro mayonnaise  ($.79 per bunch) and (don’t ruin the cilantro with mayonnaise)
South beach chopped salad with tuna ( I ignored the south beach foods and bought 2 heads of iceberg lettuce and a couple cans of cheep tuna packed in water)
Sugar-free flavored gelatin desert
Celery stuffed with laughing cow light cheese
Baked chicken breast
Roasted eggplant and peppers  (this sucked as a meal without some help…I prefer my eggplant recipes to theirs.  Stick to vegetarian recipes and they will taste better and still be healthy for you.)
Tossed salad (mixed greens, cucumbers, green peppers, cherry tomatoes)
Balsamic vinaigrette or low-sugar prepared dressing
Mocha ricotta crème.  (Calls for unsweetened cocoa powder (I’ve had a can of that on the shelf for over a year and never use it because I can’t stand bittersweet chocolate) and espresso powder (who the hell knows where to get that?) and 5 mini chocolate chips (know anyone that will sell me a tollhouse cookie so I can get the chips out of it?  On second though, forget it, they are semi sweet chocolate….bluck!)

Now I didn’t even eat all this stuff.  I lived on celery, lettuce, cauliflower, broccoli, and for the main meals eggplant fixed in different ways.  Broiled and baked with the veggies on the list.  No turkey, egg substitute, Canadian bacon south beach specialty foods, baked chicken breasts and no mocha ricotta creme deserts, yet look at the total on my bill for food.

So as you can see, “You better be wealthy if you want to eat healthy”.  

No wonders there are so many diabetics; between the politicians and the drug companies it’s a wonder we can eat at all.  I say it’s a government plot so they can eat well in their ivory towers.

Don’t give up though; I’m going to keep looking and reporting on the real world way to beat this dilemma; pass the hot dogs and canned beans.


  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Google

Enjoy.... Have fun.....Play.....Make friends.