17.9.05

Eating Healthy IS NOT Cheep! Part 1

Eating Healthy isn’t Cheep!

Part 1: In fact it can cause you to go broke.

I’ve been able to get up and move around again like a normal person after 4 months now exactly. I had my gall bladder removed two days after the last day of school let out for the Summer; and was released from the doctor’s care after two months and one week.
I still didn’t feel quite up to normal and was still medicating and cleaning the last two incisions of the four used for the laproscopic surgery procedure.

Even after the incisions were healed I’ve had a problem adjusting to what I can and can’t eat now. I’ve had more problems since the operation than I ever had before the one large and three small stones were removed. As a result I’ve chosen to use this problem as a sign to get serious about eating healthier. Shit! May as well…what else can I do?

I bought Dr. Agatston’s South Beach Diet book and began reading up on the most successful and realistic diet on the market today. After only one week of shopping almost daily for the fresh vegetables, spices and such that is in the book for the first stage of the diet, I find I’m broke.

That’s right! I’m left with a total of $50.00 to finish out fourteen days from September 17, 2005 and I’ll need food by next Tuesday.

Now you have to understand, I live on a very strict budget. Every penny is accounted for and earmarked for some bill or another outlay that is necessary. There is no room for frivolous things like fancy, healthy, foods. I’m like most Americans, get whatever is cheapest and stretches the farthest. So to keep this from becoming a book, I’m going to begin a series of what it costs to eat healthy and how I’m adjusting it to reality. If it works we can all benefit from it, but if it fails, others can see why and where it went wrong.

Day one exercising began on the 13th and I’ve slowly increased the amount of exercise time each day. I’ll be adding time only as it becomes easier for me to do the last time set. I try increasing the time by 2-3 minutes when I get tired. Then the next day I try to match that last time and keep on until it gets easy and I add the necessary minutes until I’m tired and add the 2-3 as before. Today I did 13 minutes on the gazelle after getting on for 1-½ minutes only to discover I couldn’t handle the shoes I had worn to start. So tomorrow I’ll set my goal at 15 straight minutes. And yes, I’m going to plan on exercising 7 days a week. I eat seven days a week, so I’ll exercise seven days a week. My intent is to begin my Tai Chi as soon as this body is in strong enough shape to handle it. Two full months of doing nothing takes its toll and then another two months of semi-activity only leaves a body extremely weak and in need of movement; just to stay usable. I’ve never been one to do nothing. Drives me totally nuts! To me, it’s worse than cabin fever.
So that’s it for today’s post. Stay happy and as healthy as you are able.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Google

Enjoy.... Have fun.....Play.....Make friends.