25.4.05

Knowledge comes when we least expect.

Today, while I was getting my ultra sound in preparation for my up coming gall bladder removal, the technician told me a surprising bit of information about gall stones.

Did you know this? I didn't.

I had asked him if gall stones weren't sort of a cinder type stone. I was under the impression that they were all like assorted sizes of porous, sharp, jagged, rounded stones that develop in a human gall bladder.
He said, " When I was working at Sacred Heart Hospital the Pathology department had a gallon jar they had a collection of gall stones in. They were all sizes: big, little; shapes: round, oval, long and even curly-q'd. Colors: red, different shades of blue, dark and light, and textures. Some were even mushy."

I find that amazing and interesting. I told him I thought it would make a good article in a trade magazine someplace. He wanted to know who'd want to know that kind of stuff?

Am I weird?

He said they don't save them any more; trying to keep up with the modern trend toward technological advances.
My thought was, How would they be able to get the hands on visual impact that they would get by seeing a gallon jar filled with what was actually removed from human gall bladders? Sure there are pictures, and pictures are said to be worth a thousand words, but these are real touchable/ feelable; you know... show and tell stuff.

All I can think is if I didn't know this information, and I read a lot about many different topics, then chances are there are lots of other folks out there that don't know it either. Shoot - kids would find that interesting; I'm sure.
Maybe I'm just going through my second childhood. LOL Oh well, that's progress for you. The average person doesn't get exposed to that sort of thin any more. I guess that's good too in a way. Can't you just hear Johnny coming in the door from school telling you about the marbles in his teacher that was added to the jar.
Or freaking out thinking he was having stones growing in him.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share a thumbnail of knowledge I picked up today. God knows how you could use this trivia, but there it is in all it's grossness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Google

Enjoy.... Have fun.....Play.....Make friends.