24.12.04

Tis the Season to Make Resolutions

What is it about this time of year that makes people want to make resolutions? Is it inherent in the festivities or is it just we have reason to feel guilt in some respect for something we caught ourselves doing that we think should be changed? I'm voting for the latter, because it isn't even Christmas yet and New Years is 8 days away and I've already started cleaning my personal house.
I've examined myself and found places I know I can be a better person and have begun my own foggy self-improvement plan.

Statistics back me on the need for attention to diet, exercise and healthier habits. It sure isn't fun. I've realized I'm the one putting the restrictions on my goals, so I have to change the way I think.
After 3 ½ hours of my mind revealing to me all these things I've not lived up to in my own eyes instead of sleeping, I gave up trying and got up to write them down.
  • How can I expect something of someone else that I am guilty of myself?
My growing resentment of family's conveniently ignoring me and only coming around when they want something, caused me to make the statement "If a person can't find time for me out of 365 days in one year except for when It's gift time, they can do without a gift from me; I'm just not made that way."
I realized my guilt is between my heavenly father and myself. I've been lax in attending church. I haven't prayed for others as I should be doing. And when I look at myself from His parental perspective I stand guilty of my own words judgment. How can I expect blessings from God if I don't find time to spend with Him other than when I want something from Him; after all there are 365 days in a year?
  • Why have I bought into the age limitation crap that's prevalent in these continental United States?
I've never been one to permit excuses for not doing something. I've a crippled foot and never allowed it to hold me back. I've fought against discrimination my whole lifetime and never let the status quo stop me from my dreams of whatever I wanted to do or be. I've worked 'Men's' jobs because they paid better than 'Women's' jobs and worked 2 and 3 jobs at the same time. I guess that's why I was so hard on my daughter and foster kids I took into my home. No excuses; because, like butt holes - everyone has one.
I know when it all started for me too. I can trace my acceptance of my own inability when I got hurt on the job and was laid up for 3 years. During that time I didn't have a strong enough family to stand on their own feet and I was in no condition to work; I needed to recuperate. So during that time I wound up loosing every cent of security I had worked for, my entire life, and wound up living in the street.
Living in the street isn't like camping. And it wasn't my choice to be there; my family threw me out when the money ran out.
I was devastated emotionally and weak physically. I lived in fear; cold and alone. It was then I finally looked up and asked my Heavenly Father what was I going to do?
  • How can you love someone else if you can't love yourself enough to do what's right for you?
Well I'm still working on the list, but I've decided to at least attempt to be a better me than I've been.
  1. I hope to make the 2005 Christian model of myself, one that genuinely cares about everyone I come in contact with. Love my neighbor as myself.
  2. I will do and care about others welfare, doing everything I can throughout the year; not just at Christmas; because, I discovered I received true joy in doing nice things for others and I'm just selfish enough to want to stay happy all year. For it is in the giving that I receive.
  3. I will show love to myself and others by being the best person I can be at all times and to all people; even those I don't like. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God; yet He forgave us and loved us in spite of our sins.
  4. I'm going to try to live, eat and be healthier for me because I like me and want the best for me. The healthier I am the more I can do for others, and that will please my Heavenly Father most. For if I speak words as tinkling bells but have not love I am nothing. Actions speak louder than words.
  • So here's to all who make resolutions with good intentions. May we all achieve at least a part of what we hope for and all of what we work to achieve.
There's a saying; I don't know who said it, but it's good. "You will get what you give your time too....What's coming for you?"
Happy 2005


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Google

Enjoy.... Have fun.....Play.....Make friends.