8.12.04

Gifts for 30...... Coming Up!


I thought I was done making hats for a while. Hah! Settle back and enjoy this one; I have to set the mood first.
Kara, another school bus driver, worked until a week before she was due to deliver her baby. Well joked with her that she'd have to have the kids either deliver it for her or call the ambulance to get her and for someone to finish driving the kids to or from school.
During this time I was busy making hats for the UGMission and for the kids here at the apartment building and for my own bus load of kids. Now myself, I would have preferred to give the kids an ornament filled with Christmas candies like I gave them the last 3 years. Simple, easy, cheep, and they loved them. But when our terminal manager decided to stop all giving of sweets of any kind to the kids, we all were left deflated and faced with going broke to give the kids something or look like Scrooge and give them nothing.
I really can't afford to see to it they each get a measly 1.00 for Christmas; I tried McDonalds gift certificates and nearly had to take out a loan. My bus transports 35 kids most days, so that tallies to 35.00. Problem is I think it's a putzy gift compared to what I used to be permitted to give them that was much cheaper, and when I have to double up my load and drive two routes on one bus load, that 35 becomes 57-62 kids.
Now for what happened. Remember those hats I was making? Well I was finished. 35 hats plus 5 just in casers all wrapped and ready to give out on the 17th, four days before Christmas break.
Yesterday, Wednesday, there was a big sign written on the board. "We had a baby! 9½ pounds and her name" (sorry can't tell)
I found out when I arrived to drive the afternoon route home that I would be driving both routes indefinitely. Mother and child are doing fine.
Now if that don't give you mixed emotions, what does?
I need another 25 hats in 8 days. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaahhh!
I was all set to panic and did a pretty good imitation of one until I remembered I hadn't mailed the remaining hats to the UGMission yet.
I had set back 50 hats to mail to them near Christmas if the lady in the store didn't ask for any more to sell for them.
Voila' I have the hats; now all I need to do is wrap them and find some way to separate them from my bus kids stuff.
Why? Because there are names and grades and sex to consider. How do I give them what I had for each of them if I just throw them all in a bag and tell them grab one. Heads like the rest of the bodies are different sizes.
I have kids from K through 12th on each route.
I can see it now; little pre-schooler Johnny gets a hat that fits his head like the kid on Fat Albert. All he has to do is cut eye holes in it and he can wear it. Then his hat winds up in the trash because the teen that got it couldn't wear it.
What's a driver to do?
Hay kids, I wish you a Merry Christmas and I wish I could give you a candy cane and I wish I could manufacture a larger bus so you all aren't crammed in there like sardines in a can, waiting to have the eyes closed. God love ya, your all good kids and disserve something good to say thanks for being good; I appreciate your efforts and enjoy being your bus mom/driver. Yes, even you kids I yell at for messing up all the time. I love each and every one of you assorted sized little shits. It the gift don't fit- trade with someone that it does fit or see me after Christmas and I'll fix it.
Merry Christmas... We have a new baby. I wonder what bus she will ride on in 4 years? I better start making her a hat, just in case. Cancel that! I already made her one. LOL

1 Comments:

At 1:13 AM, Blogger Zette said...

Awwww....how sweet!

Sorry that you aren't able to give candy as usual this year. Some people are just so worried little Johnny and Susie should NEVER have sweets, and I say, "Bah-Humbug". My aunt and uncle did that whole "nothing with sugar for our kids" crap, only to regret it later. When the kids finally tried something sweet, they went overboard and it was not pretty. I say moderaton is the key, and just like on Halloween, why not JUST TEACH your child not to eat the candy until mom or dad have inspected it and given the okay as to when and how much you can have. Or simply teach your child to say, "No thank you, I'm allergic to candy" of "I'm diabetic." Or hell, just don't eat it as use it as a cool new decoration for your tree? Anyhow, I guess we've become a society where we should always be careful not to step on anyone's toes at ALL costs. *sigh*

Also, did you have to use a magnifying glass to type that post? ROFLMAO!!!! Take care and I'll talk to you soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Google

Enjoy.... Have fun.....Play.....Make friends.