29.5.05

Paintner's Happy

Paintners will paint anything. There is no hard fast rule for a painter, like having to paint only on canvas. Paintner is a title I came up with for those of us that don't stay within the box where people like to stick us. Sure canvas is nice and the more expensive the better the paints glide over the surface, but I like turning natural things into works of art.

I've spent the day painting on conch(s), which are a form of mushroom growth that forms on trees, and turns into a solid fibrous paintable surface. They even come complete with a flat white side that takes a primer nicely. Conches have a naturally rounded base, from where they are attached to the bole of the tree. That part is a bit funky, but they can be filled in with dried moss and fitted with a flat base of felt, so they will sit on a desk or something; leaving the conch smooth on front and back sides.

Today I primed and painted 10 of these conch in sizes ranging from small fist to dinner plate size. The largest I've ever painted was 20 inches long x 12 inches high and 12 inches wide. They all have their own scenes according to the natural lumps and bumps, holes and impurities in the white surface faces. I'll probably finish them tomorrow and start on some of the drawings I did for an adult coloring book I tried to get published.

I have 72 drawings I did for the color book. No publisher wants to do a coloring book for adults. Why? I can't tell you. Even after explaining they aren't x-rated drawings, but intricate, detailed drawings any adult would enjoy coloring. With a simple box of watercolor pencils and misting with water, or finishing with a paint brush and water, and framing, adults could relax in this way; plus when finished, they'd have a framable painting they did, to hang on their own wall or give as a gift. They could feel proud to sign their name and call them their own.

Strange thing is everyone I've talked to says it is a great idea, yet no publisher will touch the project as yet. So - to heck with publishers. I can always draw more if I ever get a desk top publishing program for my computer. Meantime, I'm going to have some fun myself. I've made it for a year now, but it's been really difficult not putting color to these drawings; that's damn good for me.

So if anyone out there would like to purchase one or more of my 14 x 11 drawings to color yourself, just let me know what you want. I'm not much on portraits, people or animals, but I love landscapes and scenes or architectural designs and unusual patterns. I like the more intricate and detailed things that would take a while to do them justice.

Anyway, I've had fun even if my daughter is angry with me for not running her to the store. She said she understood, but I've called her three times, and she isn't answering her phone. LOL Poor kid. It's the first time in many many years, that I haven't been at her beckon call. Wonder if she's throwing a fit like she did when she was a kid. LOL I can just see a full grown woman laying on the floor kicking and screaming, because mom didn't do what she wanted this time. Not! Being bitchy and giving me the could shoulder... Yes! LOL That'll teach me.

Well back to the dungeon and my paints. Hope your day is/has been as much fun as mine. I've stepped off the rat race treadmill, and am enjoying life. Damn it feels good doing what I want for a change...Try it... You'll like it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Google

Enjoy.... Have fun.....Play.....Make friends.